Sunday 10 February 2013

Shrovetide "Boller"


I know in the UK you have Pancake Tuesday, also known as Shrove Tuesday, here in Norway we have Shrove Sunday, which is today. We make the above "bolle", or sweet bun if you will, filled with cream and jam. I can't even remember the last time I ate those, so of course I had to make some! I was worried that it wouldn't be enough when I used the following recipe, but just one of those babies is enough food for a whole day!

I got the recipe from this website: Tine

Ingredients:

50 grams yeast (or 1 small packet of dry yeast)
3,5 decilitres of full fat milk
100 grams butter
100 grams sugar
500 grams sifted flour (approx, I had to use about 550/600grams)
0,5 teaspoon cardamom
0,5 teaspoon salt
0,5 teaspoon baking powder

1 egg whisked

3 decilitres whipping cream/double cream
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar

Method:

Start by melting the butter in a small casserole, careful so it doesn't burn. Once the butter is melted add the milk and heat it to 37C (for Fahrenheit... just like babies milk; check it on the inside of your wrist). Put the yeast in a bowl, if you're using fresh yeast crumble it. Add the liquid and stir it so the yeast disintegrates

Add the sugar, salt, cardamom, baking powder and flour and knead to a smooth dough. Don't put all the flour in at once in case you don't need it. Cover the dough with some cling film and leave it in a nice and warm place to rise to twice it's size, approx 30 minutes.

When I made it I got 10 "boller" of the dough, although I could have probably gotten 12 if I had made them smaller. Divide the dough into parts (just under the size of a handful), and shape them into balls. Put them on a tray with baking paper, cover the tray with plastic and let it rest in a warm place for another 30 minutes. Sometime within these 30 minutes turn your oven on 250C.

Glaze with the whisked egg and put them in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Whip the cream and vanilla sugar to a fluffy cream, spread the "boller" with jam ( I prefer rasberry) and cream, sprinkle some icing sugar on top, which I forgot, and enjoy!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...