Saturday 26 January 2013

The Casual Vacancy


The Casual Vacancy
By: J.K. Rowling

Inner front cover: When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock  Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.
Rich at war with poor, teenager at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with the pupils... Pagford is not what it first seems.
And the empty seat left by Barry on the Parish Council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

It's more of a character study than a book with a plot, maybe in a few years I'll read it with that in mind and like it a little better, but this time it was just a bit too slow... It's not like I expected any of the Harry Potter magic or anything, but I thought something would actually happen in the book. More than just every day stuff.

I think a lot of people will read the book just because it's J.K.Rowling and they are interested in finding out what her "grown up book" will be like, that's why I read it. But like me I think a lot of them might get disappointed when they realize there's no real excitement. I'm not saying it's not a good book, I'm just think you REALLY need to be prepared for it to just be a character study with no plot.

I think I'll keep this book, partly because it's a hardback and I don't like giving those away, but also because I'd like to read it again some time in the future now that I know there is no plot, just to see if I like it better then.

1 comment:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Interesting to know your thoughts on this one. I had thought it would be all over the blogosphere but I have read little about it. A book I'll no doubt read eventually though only if I come across it in the library as I don't think its a book I'd buy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...