Tuesday 2 October 2012

Pumpkin soup

I've been wanting to try pumpkin soup for a while now, and when I saw some pumpkin at the local fruit and veg store I just had to buy some. 

I did try to find a recipe online, but in the end I mainly just threw something together, I did look at this recipe but mainly just for the method. I've only lately started making soup from scratch, it's SO quick and easy, and the ones I've tried so far have been really yummy as well.

Here is what I used, which was a perfect portion for just me:

Some pumpkin, diced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 small chilli, chopped
1 cube of vegetable stock
a bit of oil
a dash of pepper

Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
Combine the pumpkin, carrot, onion, garlic and chilli in the saucepan. Cook until the vegetables begin to caramelize and slightly change colour, then cover with water. You want them to be completely covered, but at the same time be careful not to use too much water.
Bring the liquid to a boil, add the vegetable stock cube, then turn down to a gentle simmer and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the pumpkin is soft and breaks up when cut with a spoon.
Put the cooked pumpkin soup in a blender and blend until smooth.

I did put some pepper in the soup, but I didn't really need it since, because of the chilli, it was quite spicy. I will definitely make this again, but with a bit less water as it was a bit too thin for my liking.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...