Monday 14 May 2012

Rome - Part 1


13.05.12

So after 23 hours of travelling I’m in Rome! I have to admit I’m a little disappointed that the flight from Kuala Lumpur to Cairo was at night because I would have loved to see what it looked like between those places since I’ve never flown that way before. I also really wanted to get out and look around in Bangkok and Cairo since I’ve never been to either, but it will have to wait until another time.

I have only been in Rome a couple of hours but so far I love it. I love all the old buildings, and how even the new ones are made to fit in with the old. I don’t understand the €2 culture tax people have to pay though. €2 per person per night in Rome… Can anybody tell me why that is?

One of the guys in reception was really nice and gave me a map and drew up a walking route for me for each of the three full days that I’m here so that I get to see all the sights, so look out for pictures in the next few days!

I only took a tiny walk today to check out the area around the hostel, it’s okay and there is a station nearby where I can get the bus, metro and train from so that makes things nice and easy.
Random pretty building opposite the station
 I was a little bit nervous about Rome, especially after everyone have been going on about pickpockets and stuff, but I’m really looking forward to the next few days! And I will only put one day’s budget in my purse, so that if it does get stolen then I know I’ve still got money and it’s not the end of the world. I also won’t bring my bank card with me, but I wouldn’t do that anyway.

I’ve heard Italian traffic is crazy, and seeing cars squeeze through really narrow streets that looks like they should be pedestrian is a bit strange, but after Kuala Lumpur it doesn’t really faze me. But I also think that the narrow streets looks like they should be pedestrian just because they look so old, but so does everything else in Rome so in a way I guess it’s not so strange that they squeeze through the narrow ones as well…

I met some of the people I’m sharing a dorm with, with exception of one boy we’re all girls, and I got along with all the ones I met, which is nice. I wonder what the guy in the dorm feel about sharing a dorm with 9 girls… I guess most guys would be all like “Oh yeah, I’m such a ladies man” or whatever in public, but I think it’s probably quite intimidating for him in a way, maybe. 
Free glass of wine and free WiFi at the bar next to the hostel. Don't mind if I do...

1 comment:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Wish I was there. Have a great time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...