Saturday 7 April 2012

Heaven

Heaven
By Virginia Andrews

Outer back cover: Her name was Heaven her life was anything but...
Heaven's mother Angel had died in childbirth, and from that moment her father turned against her. Her only allies, it seemed, were her four half-brothers and sisters. When their father, poor and desperate, sold them to strangers, Heaven was left alone and friendless.
Her only hope was to reunite her family. But how?...

I had a Norwegian edition of this book that I used to read over and over again when I was younger and I have been wanting to read it again for several years now, so when I saw it in a bookshop in Airlie Beach for $2 I just had to get it.

There was actually a lot of what happened in the book that I couldn't remember, especially towards the end, so it was almost like reading it for the first time because I wasn't completely sure about what was going to happen.

They never mention a year in the book, from the way the Casteel family lives you would think that the series is set one or two hundred years ago, but as they talk about colour television it's probably late 1970's, early 80's, the book was written in 1985. The Casteel family is very poor, and reading about them can be a bit depressing, especially as the story isquite realistic.

Heaven is very proud and stubborn despite her poverty, and she ruins life for herself sometimes by being that way. But she's still my favourite character, just like when I was a kid.

I enjoyed the book just as much as when I was younger, and it's still a book I can read over and over again so I don't think I'll leave it anywhere as part of BookCrossing. I have also bought the rest of the books in the Casteel family saga, which I have never read before, so I'm looking forward to reading those and finding out what happens to the family.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...