Sunday 29 May 2011

Why did no one tell me about this when I lived in the UK?

Staying on the hiking theme of my last post...

A few weeks ago I noticed something interesting in the newapaper: Free accommodation in the UK!

It was very basic accommodation. No facilities, no tap, no sink, no bed, no lights. It was described as camping without the tent.

What I'm on about are Bothies.

From Wikipedia: A bothy is a basic shelter, usually left unlocked and available for anyone to use free of charge. Bothies are to be found in remote, mountainous areas of Scotland, northern England, Ireland and Wales. They are particularly common in the Scottish Highlands.

Key words: Free of charge!

Why did no one tell me about this when I lived in the UK? I think this is great! It would have been a lot cheaper than travel around and living at hotels or BandB's, and it's a great way to see the British countryside and also get some fresh air and exercise!

Although, I don't think I would want to go all alone, and I don't think that any of the people I knew in Britain would have been interested in going with me... Actually, yes, maybe one of them, if she got her hubby to look after the kids. But it's too late now... Maybe if I go back at some point... Anyone want to go with me?

(source)
If you want to find out more about mountain bothies, please go here.

3 comments:

That Dog Dancing Guy said...

I'll come! looks interesting!

Leslie said...

oh neato! That would be fun.
have a fantastic day.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Obviously a well-kept secret - I live in England and I've never heard of this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...