Sunday 7 November 2010

Sophie Kinsella

From reading my blog I'm sure it seems like all I do is read, which is pretty much what I do except from work and try to realize my Australia dream.

This weekend I've read 3 books by... can you guess which author? Sophie Kinsella, that's right. I have read the Shopaholic series before, so I won't write about that, except for Mini Shopaholic when that becomes available at the library.  
One thing I have to say most of Kinsellas books have in common is that they make me want to tell the truth. Don't get me wrong, I don't usually lie, but they make me not want to lie just because something is embarrassing to admit or anything like that. It's better to just come clean at once and be over with it. 
Anyway the 3 books I've read this weekend is:

Really exciting book, that also made me rather embarrassed at the character a lot of the time, but it's funny.
It's about a workaholic attorney, Samantha, who's just made a massive mistake that will ruin her chances of partnership. She goes into meltdown and takes the first train out of London and ends up in the middle of nowhere. She goes to ask for directions at a big house and gets mistaken for an interviewee and gets offered a job as a housemaid. Her employers doesn't know that they've hired a lawyer - and Samantha doesn't know how to work an oven, bake a potato or even open an ironing board. 
Needless to say it's a really funny book, I laughed out loud quite a few times. It also made me rather hungry and want to cook in some parts.

I think this book is really different to Kinsella's other books. Depending on what you believe in it's not as "true to reality" as her other books.
It's about a girl, Lara, who is wondering if maybe she's lost her mind. She's being visited by the ghost of her Great Aunt Sadie - in the form of a bold, demanding, Charlestone-dancing girl. Sadie has one last request: Lara must find a missing necklace that Sadie can't rest without. Lara has also got other problems. Her startup company is floundering, her best friend and business partner has run off to Goa, and she's just been dumped by the love of her life. 
I do like fantasy books, like Harry Potter, Twilight and stuff like that, but I have to admit that I had my doubts when Kinsella wrote about a ghost. But I was pleasantly surprised. The book was very exciting and funny.

I couldn't put this book down, other that when I had to eat, so I read the whole book today. There are so many twists and turns that I really couldn't guess at how it would all end.
28-year-old Lexi wakes up in a London Hospital and is in for a big surprise. Her teeth are perfect. Her body is toned. Her handbag is Vuitton. She has just survived a car accident and has lost a big chunk of her memory, three years of it, and she's about to find out how much is changed. Somehow she went from a 25-year-old working girl to a corporate big shot with a sleek new loft, a carb-free diet and a surprise husband that also happens to be a multimillionaire. Lexi tries to adjust to her new life, when the biggest bombshell of all is dropped on her.
Can you understand how I couldn't put it down? It reminded me a little bit of that series that was on telly a couple of years ago, "Samantha Who" although I guess that's only because of the whole amnesia part, as the rest of the story wasn't anything like it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...